Monday, November 14, 2011

Links! To Things!

Here is a link to a fascinating article by Rachel Stark on YA novel covers and the the current* trend to the objectification and dehumanization of the "beautiful dead girl."

I only just discovered it, but the blog as a whole looks quite interesting and worth checking out beyond the post in question.

Here is another very interesting and well argued post from the same blog titled: Waiting for the Right Monster to Come Along: On Twilight, Abusive Relationships, and YA Saves
Here's a longish quote from the post:
But when I think about the vast throngs of teenagers who have read the series and swooned over Edward, it physically pains me. Because no matter how many times Edward saves Bella’s life over the course of the series, that will never change the fact that, on their first date, he tells Bella he may not be able to stop himself from killing her. It doesn’t change the fact that he follows her, threatens her, makes all of her decisions for her, cuts her off from her friends and family emotionally and physically, instills her with the belief that his murderous impulses are her fault (she “has to be good” and not lose control of her urges when they kiss, so as not to tempt him), and attacks her when she says she’s not afraid of him, just to make sure that she learns to be. That’s just in book one, and it sure doesn’t sound like any healthy relationship I know of. In fact, I’m not the first person to point out that Edward’s and Bella’s relationship shows all the signs of an abusive relationship.

That is exactly what I've tried to argue (but not nearly as eloquently unfortunately) with a few people regarding my extreme distaste of Twilight specifically and the trend in Urban Fantasy** novels in general.

Last serious link. Here's a video on YouTube by Jean Kilbourne about the portrayal of women in advertising.

Ok this has gotten entirely too serious now and I'm fucking tired because I haven't been getting more than 4 broken hours of sleep each night. Again. As well as dealing with renewed surge in anxiety levels.

I found some cool music, but I accidentally lost all the internet tabs so I have to try and remember/find them all again. Also, I want a pet. A dog is a lot of responsibility and I question my commitment. I'd kinda prefer to have a cat at this point in time, but I worry any cat I get will be too much for my allergies, no matter how non-allergenic it is. Guys, my EYEBALLS swell. Not my eyelids (well, they do to) my fucking eyeballs!!! The white, squishy bits I use to see shit with? Yea, those. If I'm not careful and touch them after touching a cat or anything with too much cat on it, I look like a goddamn pug. Eyes all bulging out of their housing and shit. Fuck that. Plus, I could bring a dog on walks with me. Take it to the dog park and let it make all sorts of friends while I hang back and fade into the fencing until it's time to go. But, do dogs adjust to night schedules? Is there such a thing as night owl dogs? Will I be able to get my dog to switch to a more evening/night schedule and not need/want to wake me up at 5am to let it shit? Because I don't have a yard or anything. The park is a 5 or so minute drive away, but it's still a drive.

I probably shouldn't get a dog. :( And I probably can't have a cat. Rats are cool, but it's best to get more than one and they'd need a big cage... I want some thing more engaging than a hamster or a rabbit. Or bird.


*I say current because, as the article explains, there's a pretty long established history of this albeit with women as opposed to girls.

** Urban Fantasy which half the time isn't, even, because it's actually Paranormal Romance (which is its own fucking genre) being erroneously labeled as Urban Fantasy. Which kinda pisses off a lot of urban lovers because we're not fucking looking for romance stories with a paranormal twist to them. If I wanted a romance novel I'd go pick one up. I don't. I want kickass heroines actually doing shit, not slave-to-their-libido, dis-empowered, angst girls looking to be saved by their badboy alpha male who will now happily dictate their life from here on in and negate any smidgens of empowerment all those Little Miss Angst Buckets might, maybe, have managed to trip their way into during their high-heeled, quest for a husband.

That knife on her thigh? That knife there reader? That knife there? Pshhh don't pay that knife no mind, that's just a flimsy decoration to scare off weaker men. Any real alpha ignores the knife and the no associated with it because every alpha man knows no really means yes.

Edited to remove confusing explanation of something.

No comments:

Post a Comment