Friday, July 4, 2008

If it isn't one thing...

It's another. My computer up and died earlier this week. I'm in the process of getting a new one, but I can't pick it up until tue or wed of next week. I am made of teh sad.

The good news is that I haven't lost most of my writing. Some of it up and disappeared on me, but most of it is intact. The bad news is that I can't access it until the new comp comes home to momma.

Needless to say it's put a huge cramp in many things, not the least of which is the aforementioned writing.

Also, in general, I have way too much on my plate.

I miss my comp. *sniff* However, my new rig will be shiny, and fast and full of win.

If you aren't a computer enthusiast I suggest skipping the next bit... In fact this post pretty much ends with me drooling over system specs. You've been warned.

For those of you that care, here are its specs:
Antec 900 gamer case
Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHz
nForce 780i SLI ATX mobo
2G DDR2 6400 RAM
500G hard driveShuriken CPU cooler
750W thermaltake power supply
Samsung dual layer 20X read/write player
GeForce 9800GTX 512mb ram graphics card

Was gonna get a Radeon 280(I think) , but could not wait the month or so to get it.
Only 2 gigs of RAM, but I can add more later (and will)
board can chain graphics cards so I will prolly add extra one down the road. The 9800 is a great card and will serve me well for now.

This is a good system. Not as high end as I wanted, but it's within the budget I didn't have for a computer atm. Was NOT expecting to have to buy a new comp just yet. It will run everything I want to play on it and more so I'm happy. Later upgrades will keep it viable for a few years.
I'll be giddy like a school girl when it finally arrives. Just thinking about it gives me warm fuzzies and a huge grin. Why yes, I am a geek.

Back online when shiny new toy comes!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

*drools over specs with you*

So sorry for the loss of your computer. I hate when that happens but I'm glad that your writings weren't all lost!

That would have, and this is an understatement, sucked royally. :(

Blackfire said...

Oooh, I join in the drooling with both you and Soleil very nice! You doing better then me with 2Gb of Ram! I only got 1, but I can't complain, my laptop is the fastest computer in the house, so I'm happy.

Its a good thing that you didn't lose all of your writing! And look at the bright side, you may have lost your old computer, but you have gained one worth drooling over!

Wologal said...

@Soleil

teeheehee A fellow drooler! ME too, SO glad I didn't lose most my writing. that's just too devastating to think of.

@Blackfire Yay! more droolers! ;P
This is true and he is a beauty to drool over if I do say so myself. His name is Paco. :) Yes, yes I do name my computers, and monitors.

SO happy to have internet again and a nice shiny new computer. Now to figure out how I will pay for it... :)

Blackfire said...

Oh, ive always wanted to name my computer, but I can't think of a name that suits it, lol.

And that is the worst thing about computers.... paying for them, wait there is another that comes in equal first with that one, and that would be the fact that as soon as you buy a new computer, something better comes along, lol.

Wologal said...

Heh. Yea, at a certain point you just have to make the decision when to buy, then do it and don't look at anything again for at least a few weeks. You can play the waiting game forever the way tech cycles. I try to find out though what's on the horizon and if it's worth waiting for or not.

I wouldn't buy a laptop right now for instance, not until the new Montevina and (can't remember the other name) come out. Those are changing things up enough that it's worth the wait to either jump on board or get laptops with (now) slightly older technology at a better price.

Blackfire said...

OOh, thanks for the tip, my mum and dad said that if I give them my laptop, they will buy me a new one before I go to Uni next year, so I have to start on a little research.... But there is so much to chose from!!

I also got to do research on PDAs, they said they'd get me one of them. ^_^

Wologal said...

This site is:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/
very helpful, BUT I suggest doing that reading first, especially before posting in the "what notebook should I buy" forum. Also, you may want to read other people's posts in the above forum. The reason I suggest doing some research first is because you won't always find out all the pros and cons of specific notebooks they recommend in your post.

Get a solid idea of what features are really important to you, what you can't live without, what's nice to have and your budget. Budget might be hard to get an idea of until you know more I dunno what your situation is.

Get a feel for which current laptops have very bad batteries, or heat problems (think it's dell xps 15/17XX lines get very hot where your hand rests, Asus notebooks have some battery problems I think. Things like that.)

Asking them if you think you should wait till the new platforms to come out is pointless. Half will tell you yes and the other half no. Personally I'd suggest waiting, but that's entirely up to you.

Thing is one it comes out, you can either go whole hog (budget allowing) and get one of those or grab a good price on an older one.
Problem with the former is that because they're so new no ones really going to be able to give good accurate reviews of them yet. So you'll have the honor *snort* of being one of the first to deal with hidden problems.

At least with older ones you'll already know what you're in for.

Hope that helped and didn't come across as too teacher/preacher. :)

Blackfire said...

Hehe, thanks for the advice. I will definitely have to check all of that out!

Wologal said...

np, just glad it helped!

Blackfire said...

it did a lot thanks

Post a Comment