Friday, January 1, 2010

Looking Back, Looking Forward

Sooo, this is awkward. Haven't seen you around for a while. Where ya been?

Oh, you know, 'round. Busy.

:)

Anyways, 2009 was an interesting year on many fronts, not the least of which was writing. I'm not going to miss 2009 as some great year by which all others shall be measured though. I do have strong hopes for 2010 cuz it's poised to be a good one, but I am glad to be done with 2009.

I'm not a New Year's resolutions kind of person as I firmly believe and practice revising myself throughout the year, but I do find the turning of the year to be a time of extra analysis and thought. So, with that in mind, some of my plans for the new year...

Swear more. Really. The world needs more creative swearing.

Ahem.

Get back on the exercising track.

Eating habits slid horribly before holiday food kicked in, but holiday food definitely helped it slide farther towards terribad. So, back to my boring, strict eating style of -mostly- healthy.

Finish a fucking piece of writing. Yes. Yes I will do this, this year.

Learn to make that bitch of an inner editor shut up even further. I will ply that bitch with Valium or sedatives or whatever it takes for her to chill the fuck out while I'm trying to get shit down on paper.

Figure out how best to cajole muse out of hole she seems to prefer to live in. Jesus woman, there's light up here and fun and games and...and... oh fuck it just keep me company already will ya? I promise you a real vacation with sunshine and a beach and everything if you just come play with me this year.

Lay off the how to get published blogs until I am, you know, actually ready to be published. I really don't need to fill my head up with negative platitudes about how hard it is to get published. I understand it's similar to wining the lottery. I don't need to dwell on this fact, thank you. Instead I will concentrate on staying mostly sane and writing something worthy of being in print, then I will call upon the publishing and agent faeries to come whisk my darling words away to the magical land of print and hefty advances.

Dream more.




Things I accomplished in 2009:

Learned more about my writing style, creative process and patterns and pitfalls I'm especially prone to.

Eased up ever so slightly on inner editor while getting first drafts down.

Learned to be a more positive person so that, you know, the good things I want could actually happen instead of getting stopped at the door by the bouncer of absolute pessimism. He's a huge fucker and he wields a mean bat of negation.

Learned how to open the Idea Door up. It was wielded shut before you see. Stupid glass doors as strong as steel with mocking faces on the other side. I BEAT YOU! YU R HALF DOAR NAO.




Oh hells, this post was supposed to contain my musings on my creative process. It is very long now though. So, uh, maybe next post in 6 months time yes?

No comments:

Post a Comment