Friday, March 20, 2009

Snippet of.. Something

No idea where this came from or what it's for, but my head needed a tiny break from regular story.

Still rough cause I've done nothing but the barest or spell checks. Enjoy.

Nadia flew off the bed scrambling and gasping, one hand clasping her throat, the other reaching for a weapon that wasn't there anymore. Her eyes wide and wild. Surprise at being alive followed immediately by confusion for the same. Nathanos sat on the wooden chair across the room. Amused, composed, waiting. For a split second he thought she was going to attack him. Her eyes, if possible, widened even further when she saw him. They narrowed and she actually took a step towards him before fear stopped her.

"I lost."

"You did."

"You said the penalty for losing was death."

"It is." He said waiting for her to catch on.

"Oh, God no." If possible her eyes got even wider and she fumbled back a step, hang grasping out behind her.

"Yes." He said with a satisfied smile. He loved this part. Her head whipping back and forth she scanned the room. Her attention drawn first to her lack of a heartbeat, then to the one window in the small, round, stone room.

"I wouldn't." He warned. Ignoring his warning she ran for the window and slammed into his chest. Frowning he grabbed her and flung her back onto the bed. He sighed disappointedly and shook his head, but stayed in front of the window.

"You'll make a mess on the ground below, and hurt terribly, but you'd live. I'm not interested in climbing down all those stairs just to scrape your ruined carcass up. Besides, a deals a deal."

"I didn't agree to this. You said nothing of coming back."

"You didn't ask."

"Not...Not fair." She accused pointing her finger at him. "You can't do this!"

"I believe I just did." Murder was starting to replace the fear in her eyes when a noise interrupted them.

The door opened, before she could make a run for it a man stepped through, blocking her way. Bigger than Nathanos, he filled the doorway. Skilled as she was, Nadia didn't think she had a hope of budging him.

"Is she done freaking out yet? Did I miss the good part?" The man in the doorway said.

"No and possibly." Nathanos said with a bored expression on his face. "She was going to jump out the window."

"Ahhh." The man tsk'ed and shook his head, but couldn't quite hide the amused smile peeking at the corners of his mouth.

"They always go for the window. Admit it, that's why you always make sure they wake up here." He closed the door and leaned against it. "Who's going to train her this time?"

"This time? This time!" The woman managed to keep her voice from trembling, barely.

"You didn't tell her?"

"She only just woke up, Blaine."

"Well then," Blaine grinned wickedly. "Don't let me interrupt."

He pulled the chair over with his foot, flipped it around, and sat down, chest against the back of it, arms folded over the top portion. Unbeknownst to either, he'd watched their fight. They'd snagged a real prize this time. He hoped Nathanos handed her off to him for once.

"Now then," Nathanos said calmly, "Here's how it's going to work..."



Also, I've been trying my hand at a short story. It's that Werewolf viking thing I mentioned months and months ago. It's also already 2500-3000 words and I've only got the 3 main characters introduced. Sigh. It doesn't even read that wordy. Maybe I'm just not meant to do short?

Back to internet hiatus. I know I'm missing people's stuff on 2YN. I do apologize for that. :(

5 comments:

Blackfire said...

that was an awesome snippet. I loved this. Nice work Wolo.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Lyra, awesome snippet. I'd love to see where you go with this. :)

Wologal said...

@blackfire Thanks! Glad you liked it. Me too. Now if I just knew what it was for. :)

@Soleil Thank you, thank you. :) I would also love to see where I go with this lol.


How are you both doing?

Anonymous said...

Wolo-I'm doing ok, in the outlining phase and getting more out of my WIP than I thought I would. But I have the sneaky suspicion that it could still be so much better or that I'm compromising my vision just a little because I don't know how to get "the vision" right. *sigh*

Wologal said...

Ack! Meant to comment on this AGES ago so sorry!!!

I think I understand that perfectly Soleil. I get that feeling all the time. How do you deal with the frustration of that?

Do you think that feeling will go away some/all once you get past outlining and into actual writing. That's where you can really try to let the vision part shine.

Post a Comment